GSDP was coordinated by

Discussion

Re: The role of ICT in Global System Science

It sounds like you are looking for a physical science of systems, to parallel the information modeling approaches we now have.  I've been working on one and making reasonable progress for a while.  It extends from the conservation laws, and the requirement that energy using systems have continuities of organizational development to produce continuities of energy use when beginning and ending uses of energy.   I call that "the continuity principle", and use it to investigate the ubiquitous pairs of 'S' curves (¸¸.·´ ¯ Â¯ `·.¸¸) found in our data. 

As a science it is less about creating better artificial worlds in a computer than learning to use computers to more skillfully observe how the systems of our environment work and are behaving,  Success in that  would clearly also improve modeling abilities too, especially by grounding them more firmly on verifiable behavioral certainties.

Part of the end result is a recognition that the environmental systems which animate change in an environment operate as cells of organization, that like any growth system, operate by dramatically expanding their control over resources from their environments.   That portrays nature as something of a "bomb thrower", in germinating seeds of viral processes right and left.   It also lets you identify them as units of organization, to track and study.  Having definable boundaries allows one to study their organic thermodynamics too, and discover their 'S' curve developmental boundary conditions implied by "the continuity principle" for developmental change.  

Most of my work of recent years has been on short subjects and a couple long papers.

Informal collection of intro's to open systems physics

Software for isolating continuities in noisy data

Replies

Re: The role of ICT in Global System Science

It sounds like you are looking for a physical science of systems, to parallel the information modeling approaches we now have.  I've been working on one and making reasonable progress for a while.  It extends from the conservation laws, and the requirement that energy using systems have continuities of organizational development to produce continuities of energy use when beginning and ending uses of energy.   I call that "the continuity principle", and use it to investigate the ubiquitous pairs of 'S' curves (¸¸.·´ ¯ Â¯ `·.¸¸) found in our data. 

As a science it is less about creating better artificial worlds in a computer than learning to use computers to more skillfully observe how the systems of our environment work and are behaving,  Success in that  would clearly also improve modeling abilities too, especially by grounding them more firmly on verifiable behavioral certainties.

Part of the end result is a recognition that the environmental systems which animate change in an environment operate as cells of organization, that like any growth system, operate by dramatically expanding their control over resources from their environments.   That portrays nature as something of a "bomb thrower", in germinating seeds of viral processes right and left.   It also lets you identify them as units of organization, to track and study.  Having definable boundaries allows one to study their organic thermodynamics too, and discover their 'S' curve developmental boundary conditions implied by "the continuity principle" for developmental change.  

Most of my work of recent years has been on short subjects and a couple long papers.

Informal collection of intro's to open systems physics

Software for isolating continuities in noisy data

< back to main discussion